An assessment of the overall impact of the proposed Gibe III project on the Turkana Basin was carried out by AWRG, which indicates more potential risk to the environment and the indigenous communities than that suggested by the Environmental Impact Assessment done by the Ethiopian Government.
The AWRG report highlights critical impacts including, but not limited to:
- Retreat of Lake Turkana
- A significant increase in lake salinity, and destruction of aquatic organisms
- Destruction of Indigenous Economies
- Transboundary Issues between Ethiopia, Sudan and Kenya
- Arising of Transboundary Issues between Ethiopia, Sudan and Kenya
- Hampering of Possible Regional Development
To read more about these impacts visit our documents page and download the commentary and other studies.