FoLT began in 2009 as a campaign demanding the protection of Lake Turkana and the stop of Gibe 3 dam. In 2011, we evolved from the campaign pressure group to an organization and
expanded our work to focus on environmental and natural resource governance around Lake Turkana Basin. Between 2016-2020, our work was guided by a strategic plan focusing on
four pillars of resource governance; environmental justice, community rights, education, leadership, and civic engagement. As we celebrate and reflect on a decade of work in the
Turkana basin, our new Strategic Plan builds on the lessons from past work to guide us towards greater heights of prosperity over the next five years.
We commit to;
1) safeguard and defend the rights and resources of the pastoralist and indigenous peoples.
2) advance and amplify indigenous resistance and solutions
3) support human rights defenders
4) shift power to people-led organizing, and
5) build solidarity amongst indigenous peoples and other social justice organizers