Position Title : Knowledge Management and Communications Intern
Friends of Lake Turkana (FoLT), is a grassroots organization founded in 2011, that works with and on behalf of the communities within the greater Turkana basin to demand their collective social, economic, environmental, cultural and territorial rights. Our mission is to foster participation of indigenous communities to achieve social and environmental justice.
The purpose of this position is to assist the Knowledge Management and Communications Team with all communications and knowledge management-related tasks.
- Assist in implementing and refining the Knowledge Management and Communications strategy.
- Offer support to all teams in designing and editing materials for various audiences and contexts, including research and meeting reports, case studies, briefs, toolkits, peer-reviewed articles, etc.
- Support in preparing impact stories for web and public dissemination. Travel to project activity may be required.
- Support in expanding FoLT’s outreach based on existing communication strategy.
- Development and day-to-day management of material for the organization’s social media accounts: Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn, and Facebook. Engage in campaigns that increase the organization’s social media presence. All content must be approved.
- Contribute to developing and monitoring content, design, editing, branding formatting of reports, PowerPoint presentations, brochures, and communication materials assigned by Communication and KM Coordinator or Director.
- Work under the guidance of the Communication and KM coordinator to develop success stories for broader dissemination to stakeholders.
- Support in the facilitating translations, transcription and subtitling to increase equity and inclusion for communities.
- Support production and recording of FoLT’s Radio programs that capture community voices.
- Support in identifying which knowledge is relevant and valuable to whom, and assist in defining and simplifying the structure of the information repository and templates for knowledge products.
- Collect/ collate information and undertake analysis to support the production of knowledge materials around FoLT’s key areas of work for a range of audiences.
- Explore and support piloting alternative tools for enhancing internal and external communications and information management.
- Stay abreast of development around FoLT's key focus areas to ensure the organization's knowledge production and management work is relevant and responsive to indigenous peoples' current challenges.
- Backstop the organization blog by soliciting creative posts from staff and guest bloggers and editing and promoting content.
- Support in maintaining a collection of photos, graphics, icons, infographics, databites video clips to use in various digital content.
- Support the development and implementation of effective feedback/follow-up processes to capture the impact and value of internal and external training and learning.
- Support updating digital communications platforms, including social media, the FoLT website, and other communication materials.
- Actively engage with citizen journalists and community monitors to share information on FoLT areas of work.
- Design and execute FoLT's participation in specific events relevant to the organizational focus in social conversations to amplify FoLT's mission and resources.
- Contribute to building the organization's photo database/video library by continuously highlighting the organization's interventions through photography and video documentation by external teams.
- Provide logistical support for communications and other events.
- Assist with other knowledge management and communications activities as needs arise.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Multilingual English/Swahili/Turkana preferred.
- Strong listening and communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate information with attention to detail and accuracy for different audiences.
- Ability to observe and understand team and community dynamics and adapt approaches accordingly.
- Experience and/or interest in citizen engagement, mobilization and social activism.
- Experience in or currently studying Communications, Social Sciences, IT or any other related field of study.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both written and orally.
- A passion for social justice, women, land and environmental rights and issues.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, audiovisual production and/or social media management will be an added advantage.
The qualified candidate will be stationed in Lodwar.
Qualified young women and Persons with Disabilities (PWDs) are strongly encouraged to apply.